Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:40:23 -0600
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Russ Hunt wrote:
> I'm not sure why setting this list to PRIVATE wouldn't do the same
> thing, without the hassle of manually resetting everybody to NOREVIEW.

Well, we don't know whether the list is private or not.  I make the
assumption it is, so only subscribers can post.  Given that any
subscriber, once subscribed, and subscription is open, may freely post,
there is no security at all.  This is somewhat the situation described;
the spammer keeps changing addresses.

Now, making REVIEW a Default-Option=    will *not* set those already
subscribed to REVIEW, but, all *new* subscriptions will automatically
be REVIEW, so only new subscribers will have to be set NOREVIEW, and
they can be dealt with when they post.  If they never post, just lurk,
it matters not a whit whether they are REVIEW or NOREVIEW.  On the
other hand, this joker will be caught by REVIEW every time he tries
a new address. Just don't approve those items nor set the address(es)
NOREVIEW.

More work for the listowner but better than letting the stuff get to
the list, in my opinion.

Oh, and for something like this I would supress the "your message has
been submitted to the moderator ..." item in the list.mailtpl
Let the joker wonder whether his stuff got through or not.

Douglas