Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Jan 1993 14:48:17 EST
On Thu, 7 Jan 1993 08:28:35 -0600 you said:
>Most editors of Manually created Digests, have found that their life is
>much simplier if they limit the size of each Digest.  At least in part,
>this is because some gateways and some end systems have limits on the
>size of mail messages.  Thus, at least historically, size limitation has
>had its advantages.

I don't think the argument applies to the user selectable digest
function.  In the first place, subscribers who find the digest is too
large for their gateways can continue to receive messages one at a time.

Second, size limitations are vanishing at a rapid rate, where they
continue to exist, it's often for a good reason (or what seems sensible
to whoever is running the system imposing the limit).  Concocting
schemes to defeat file size limits established by policy strikes me as
ethically dubious.

/s Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>