Pat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 May 1999 15:58:02 -0400
Pete, you are correct the e-mails were not received. I solved my immediate problem by finally getting the folks managing the recipient server to call me back.  The recipient server had been messed with at the time our last e-mail was sent, but has been returned to normal settings.

But I would still like to understand why and when the individual bounce reports become Daily Error Monitoring Reports. I had never seen one before.  I can't find it discussed in the Listowner's manual.  It must get sent instead of individual bounce e-mails when there are a large number of them or what?  If they are described somewhere in the manuals, please direct me.

Pat Case
Librarian
Congressional Research Service
202-707-9104

At 11:07 05/19/1999 Wednesday -0400, you wrote:
|1) I have been staring at the list of defaults for keywords in the
Listowners Manual, for longer than I would like to admit, trying to
figure out what the default setting is for Auto-Delete.

|The manual reads:
|Auto-Delete= No if "Validate= Yes", Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(4),Max(100) otherwise
|
|Does it mean?
|If "Validate= Yes", then "Auto-Delete= No"
|If "Validate= No", then "Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(4),Max(100)"
|
|If so, since Validate defaults to No and I am using the default, I must
add Auto-Delete= No to my header to prevent any and all auto-deleting,
correct?

Regardless of the default, you can override it.

* Auto-Delete= NO

would be unambiguous.

|2) I am getting the following error message in my daily monitoring
report for a large number of my subscribers, all from the same mail
server, although there are no problems with actual mail delivery.  Hence
my sudden interest in being sure that nothing will auto-delete. Can
anyone tell me what "Relaying not permitted" is?

|Last error: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Relaying not permitted:

How do you/they know that there are no problems with delivery.

The fact that you got a bounce is proof-positive that there was a
problem, regardless of whether your correspondent received it or not.

(Occasionally I have run across similar bounces w/ no errors ... I just
wanted to make sure you knew.)

/Pete