Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 01:38:09 -0500
Hello -- We just got a new UNIX Listserv, and we've been working
to set up some lists.

For the first couple, we set it up with no Mail-Via keyword.

I hear this is the default and exactly equal to the keyword:

* Mail-Via = DIST2

We discovered that with the default setting, it refused to deliver
list mail if we had any subscribers on the same
machine as Listserv.  It logged the mail in the
notebook, and sent a single error message, but no mail.

Then we heard that we should set it.

* Mail-Via= Direct

because the Direct option will send local mail out properly.

Does anyone know how true this is?  Will the Direct option make
Listserv work properly, or does it turn something else off that
we really want?

Is * Mail-Via= Direct the only option that works on a UNIX
Listserv that has local subscribers, or is that a myth?
And it if is, what would work, because leaving it at the
default definitely doesn't.

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

Vickie Banks