Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Jul 1992 20:45:35 +0200
On Thu, 23 Jul 1992 05:57:56 -0500 John B Harlan
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>     o Could  the QUERY listname and  QUERY * commands which  now show a
>        subscriber's name, address and settings,  also show the name and
>        address of the list's (lists') owner(s)?

I think  that would be too  confusing, many lists have  LONG owner lists,
and few lists have less than 2-3  (which is about the amount of lines you
get from a QUERY command).

>        Either  adding this  info  to  the QUERY  command  or adding  an
>        additional command might be a  more convenient way of allowing a
>        subscriber  to retrieve  the  listowner info  without having  to
>        retrieve the entire list header  (via REView SHORT) or the whole
>        list (via REView).

A  user  should  contact  the  list  owner  by  sending  mail  to  either
'LISTNAME-request'  or 'owner-LISTNAME'  at  the LISTSERV  site, this  is
simpler and avoids copying  unfriendly addresses. Unfortunately that this
works on very few sites, since it requires a change to the VM mailer (see
the 1.7b release notes for more details).  The good news is that the next
release of the  VM mailer will finally  have this facility built  in as a
configurable option.

>     o Could a listowner-only option be  added to the REView commands to
>        show CONCEALed subscribers (i.e., REVIEW listname CONCEAL)?

No, because the same people who  screamed for a CONCEAL option would then
scream about  intrusions on their privacy.  It isn't difficult to  make a
program to find  the missing entries, and then I'm  not the one intruding
:-)

  Eric