Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:40:14 -0500
On 6/25/2004 7:52 AM, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> Paul, I agree. We could definitely use such functionality here. I get
> asked about that type of issue frequently by my management. Primarily for
> us, we want to be able to put the name of the list in the ldap entries for
> a set of users (sort of subscription via ldap) and then send out targetted
> emails. For example, the head of the math department (or a designee) might
> want to send an email to everyone in the math department. It would be nice
> if Listserv could play a role in that functionality.

I would like to see LDAP support added to LISTSERV, but you do not need LDAP
support in LISTSERV to do what you described. Query the directory to get the
email addresses from entries which match your criteria, then build and submit
a LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE job. The whole thing can be scripted and hidden behind
a web page. This is a general solution that could be used with any type of
database, not just an LDAP directory, without the need to make any
LISTSERV-specific changes to the directory/database.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator