Kenneth Sax <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:57:09 -0600
> tell me how to get off this list

I gotta say, this is one of my biggest pet peeves about list
administration.  No one ever saves the welcoming instructions when they
first subscribe to a list, and then they don't know how to get off when the
time comes.  I would have hoped that this list - of list owners - would
know better, but I guess not.

What I do, whenever someone sends an unsubscribe command to the list
instead of the listserv, is send them a private post that includes
directions on how THEY can unsubscribe (better to train them to do it
themselves than to do it for them, IMO), along with a brief description of
why they shouldn't send their request to the list (not just because it
doesn't work, but out of courtesy for other list members) and a
recommendation that they save the welcoming instructions whenever they
subscribe to a list in the future.

I'd be interested in hearing what other list owners do.

Oh, and Johan - to get off this list, send the command "unsubscribe
lstown-l" to [log in to unmask]

Ken Sax