Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:46:52 -0500
At 1/12/98 05:48 AM , M. LeBlanc wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>Looking for assistance in figuring out something I've never
>seen before. Hope someone can help to figure this one out.
>
>A subscriber wrote to me because he rec'd an unusual receipt
>to a messsage that he posted. Besides a return receipt showing
>that the message had been rec'd by hwy61-l, he also rec'd one
>that *another subscriber* had rec'd his message.
>
>This is pretty unusual isn't it? Does anyone know under what
>circumstances this would happen?
>
>I asked him for full headers, but am enclosing what he
>sent.
>
>Any and all help figuring out what's going on here will be
>appreciated.

Simple- someone out there is using a mailer that interpreted the original
sender as the proper address to send a return receipt to. It's just like
those autoresponders that send the originator the "out of office"
notification.

I expect someone else on the list can identify the mailer from the receipt
format.

It's a wide, wonderful internet.

Philo

Finger for public key                   [log in to unmask]
Take my anonymity questionnaire:
http://www.radix.net/~philo/Anonymity/qform.html
Of course a SWO who lost an arm is unfit for service;
How the heck is he gonna stab his peers in the back
    while strangling the morale out of his division?
             -anonymous