Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Aug 1992 12:20:14 EDT
> > Subject: is there something like query * (netwide ?

> I certainly hope not.  I would rather not make it easy for people
> to get a profile of the interests of subscribers.  I would regard
> this as an invasion of privacy and would start setting CONCEAL on
> my subscriptions.

Such a command could (in theory) be constructed to search only
for the lists that oneself is subscribed to and not with the
ability to search for other users, just as the QUERY command
can now be used by a user to search for any of his/her subscriptions
albeit on a one-by-one basis, whereas only list owners and administrators
can use the FOR option of QUERY to examine the subscription of
some other user who is subscribed to one of their lists.

Apart from theory, I wonder if a netwide option of the QUERY
command is something that we might see someday in a future
version of Revised LISTSERV?

Roger Burns,  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome discussion list  [log in to unmask]