Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:21:09 -0500
>It's one thing if there's a list floating around (for doctors, for
>instance) that can be publicized in a publication or newsletter that
>already "connects" the people who are potential list subscribers, but if
>you on a list with scattered subscribers who don't know of their relation
>to one another (such as for people who own a certain model of automobile or
>like to watch a certain TV show) then it's much tougher to get the word out.
>
>Comments?  Suggestions?
>
>-- John

It depends on how well you advertise your list and how much you really
want to advertise it in the first place.  There are some list indexes out
there which are documented in the list-owners manual, I believe, but if
you want people to be able to find your list by other means, one
alternative is to create a webpage, or perhaps a series of webpages, which
talk about your list.  If people are interested in joining a list, they
are going to know how to use their favorite search engine to find it.

For a quickie example of this, I have a web page which very briefly
outlines my list at http://daniel.drew.edu/~galperin/folks.html

You will note, also, that if you run a casual search for either
"prosopagnosia" or "face blindness", you couldn't help but run across this
page.  (Of course, that is the focus of my list.)  I have my pages listed
with most, if not all by now, of the largest search engines that people
seem to want to use, so people can find my list if they know what they are
looking for.

Aside from this, if you can find some newsgroups which seem to also fit
the topic of your list, some of the people on the newsgroup may want to
join your list as well, but it is up to you to post to the news group to
let them know your list exists.

Just some ideas.

Glenn