Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:42:04 -0400
> Would this technique also work for AOL and others where "REDACTED" seems
> to blot out all traces of list name and recipient?

For spam complaints, I would assume that AOL scans the message and
swallows any instance of the recipient's e-mail address (although I
haven't looked at a lot of AOL spam complaints myself).  The spam feedback
loop features of LISTSERV are intended to deal with those fairly
automatically.  But if you want to encode something in your messages that
tells you the recipient's e-mail address in a way that AOL might not
devour, you might be able to use a command ticket:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/htmlhelp/advanced%20topics/DBMSandMailMergeSupport.html#2337515

Again, it requires mail-merge, which may or may not be enabled for your
site.  This is exactly how the default bottom banners in LISTSERV 16.0 do
one-click signoff.  The e-mail address doesn't appear in the SIGNOFF link,
but a unique command ticket does.  I can't say for sure whether the link
survives AOL's current spam complaint process, but I would guess that it
does.

--
Liam Kelly
Senior Consulting Analyst

L-Soft offers a full range of Consulting services,
delivered remotely or on-site.  See here for details:
<http://www.lsoft.com/products/consulting.asp>