Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:35:29 -0600
On  8 Feb 96 at 11:04, Mike Holloway wrote:

> At 10:15 AM 2/8/96 EST, you wrote:
> >Another useful technique for find cognizant technical administrators
> >is to do an NSLOOKUP for the zone.  I frequently use DIG
>
> It may be worth noting, just as a FYI sort of thing, that many (most?) folks
> not using university services will not have access to tools such as Dig.
> The rest of us disadvantaged folk greatly appreciate
> instructions/suggestions on how to obtain use of these tools, and the
> posting of search results from people with access.

If you have access to email, ;-) you have access to WHOIS, DIG and a
few other useful commands.

 Email "[log in to unmask]", subject line being the domain
 in question.  Note, there is no error checking.  You may
 occasionally get a blank message back (basically, the whois
 failed), where a second request will work.  Unless you
 specifically get told "it doesn't exist", try again :-)

 [BTW:  This is identical to running whois a the prompt..
 sometimes more than one attempt really is needed].

 A secondary service that a few may find useful, is "dig".
 Email [log in to unmask], subject being "any domain.name"
 (any is literally, "any").  It tells the dig program
 to find anything it can about the domain, and return it back
 to you.  Those familiar with the dig command itself, can use
 it as normal (with all argumenets on the subject line).

 For other commands, email "[log in to unmask]".

Namaste'

Kimberly Long

Men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man,
and never make an effort to get up.    ~~Henry David Thoreau