Linda Wack <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:18:36 -0400
The listowner manual says that the third digest parameter in
the header line is optional (the third parameter is the
daily/weekly/monthly designation).  However, it also says
that there is a default value (daily) which makes it sound
not so optional.

My list has been plagued by double digest deliveries that
occur only at the default delivery time (14:00).  The fix
for this problem is out of my hands, however I'd like to
minimize the symptoms by removing any default digest
delivery.  We have quite the chatty list, so digests will
always be kicked out whenever we reach the line limit, right?
We don't seem to have any problem with the other digests, only
the default delivery.

Our header line looks like this:
   Digest= Yes,Same,Daily,14:00,size (1000)

Can I remove the Daily, 14:00 part without any repurcussions?
Will we still get a daily default digest?  Another option I've
considered is to change the value to Monthly, so the trouble
occurs less often (she says hopefully). At least until the
Powers that Be figure out the source of the trouble.

Extra credit to anyone who solves the double digest mystery too ;-)
The most recent discovery is that the second part of the double
occurs when the lines exceed 1000, triggering a new digest. However
instead of delivering those messages, we get a copy of the 14:00
digest, and the 1000 lines never reach any digest at all
(though they have been delivered to subscribers on MAIL). Unix/LSMTP is
the list flavor.  The interesting thing is that I run another list
on the same machines (much lower volume, though) with the same
Digest header line, and we don't have the double digest problem.
Hmmm....

                        linda

 Germantown, Maryland