Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:23:40 -0500
On 11/17/2004 12:33 AM, Michelle Wilbers wrote:
> We host a number of LISTSERV Lists for our customers. We participate in
> AOL's Feedback Loop. AOL forwards copies of emails that its customers have
> indicated are spam (by clicking the Report Spam button) that are sent from
> our IP.
>
> This is all well and good, except AOL strips the recipient's email address
> out of the email's headers. Therefore, you have no idea who is clicking the
> Report Spam button in order to remove them from a list.

This was not an operational decision, it was a legal decision. AOL's lawyers
advised the operations group that they must remove identifying information
from the message headers, to protect the subscriber's identity. I received
this information from the director of AOL's anti-spam group, who is a
regular participant on some other email-related lists to which I subscribe.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator