Daniel Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:02:20 GMT
Les Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I haven't received a response from him yet, but if I got such an
>explanation, my reaction would be "why not?"

Because it's interpreted by a computer, not a person.  What's the
difference between [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
Who knows?  Maybe one is John and the other is Jim.

Often the solution is to properly configure the E-mail sofware.  It may
be that the person configured his software to say that his E-mail
address was "jsmith" instead of "[log in to unmask]".  When a message goes
out, the host E-mail software, seeing that the "From" address is not
fully qualified, changes it to reflect the name of the computer that
happened to answer the phone when jsmith called it.  It might not have
touched the From address at all had it been fully qualified from the
start.

--
Daniel