Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jul 1993 13:39:45 EDT
On Thu, 8 Jul 1993 10:52:43 EDT Stephen W. Thompson said:
>One of my favorite features for list owners in LISTSERV is the roughly
>year-old feature of errors having the list name prefixed to Subject
>lines so you can identify which list is the problem immediately:
>
>> Subject:      QUAKER-L: error report from EPCC
>
>A large class of error messages I get go to owner-listname, though,
>and seemingly skips the processing that identifies the list.   ...

 ...text deleted...

>ZDate: Wed, 07 Jul 93 13:46:57 CDT
>ZFrom: <[log in to unmask]>
>ZTo: <@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU:[log in to unmask]>
>ZSubject: Undeliverable Mail
>
>Attempting to deliver following mail to recipient(s):

 ...text deleted...

 What you have here is mail headers generated by <[log in to unmask]>
 and sent directly to the list-owner address.  So, LISTSERV never even
 touched the mail.  That's why there "Subject:" line doesn't appear in
 the format that you're used to (and find helpful).  So, the good news
 is that there's nothing wrong with the way your list is setup.  But I
 suppose that makes the "bad" news that there's no simple way to get the
 headers the way you want.  I'd suggest that you might wan to treat the
 subject "Undelivered Mail" the way you treat all the "Listname: ..."
 notes.  Every VM SMTP gateway is going to use that "Subject:" value for
 mail it has trouble delivering to an Internet host.  At least a vanilla
 SMTP server will.  And I'd be surprised to hear that many sites (if any
 at all) customize that behavior.  So it's essentially a reserved value.

 -jj