Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:28:56 -0600
At 08:42 AM 8/12/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I believe there are ppl who basically construct unwanted archives by
>subbing to lists and archiving material as it comes in. this they sell on
>to ppl who might be interested.
>
>i had a request to form an archive on my list. as our listserv already
>provides a good archive interface, i didnt see the need for another, and i
>wondered what was "in it for them". they were cagey abt that - presumably
>not wanting to own up they would offer them to others as well. i turned
>them down.
>
>apparently some ppl go ahead and archive lists anyway. do we know how
>common this is? are there any known "pirates" whose addresses i can check
>for? i guess there's no way i can tell if an address is like this generally.

Hi Pete :-)

We have had 2 occasions of companies trying to archive all of our lists.
You should include something in your welcome message and mailtpl, claiming
that external archiving for any reason is not acceptable.
It should provide you some strength when you get the fellas on the phone:-)
It has worked twice. I'll go back to my archives and will try to find the
names of the companies.
But you can have no assurance that archives are not started offsite. That's
the final word for public mailing lists.

This brings me to an interesting questio. How does a postmaster check all
the lists subecribed by a single email address?
Scan * doesn't work. What else does?

* Gilles Frydman        [log in to unmask]
*  Association of Cancer Online Resources
*             http://www.acor.org