Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:34:21 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:12:41 -0700, Cindy Heavilin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>*  Renewal= Monthly,Delay(7),Probe
>>>>>>>

>If I don't want my subscribers to have to renew, should I put probe in the
>header like this example above?

Yes.  Although, you could also just scrap the Renewal= keyword entirely.

What will happen with the above, is if the subscriber has not posted
anything for a month (30days) they will get an address probe msg instead of
a renewal request.  The probe msg need not be responded to while the
renewal msg requires a response.  Only if the probe fails (bounces back to
LISTSERV, usually because the address is bad) will LISTSERV take further
action which will require a response.  Owner is notified when a probe is
made, and later if the probe fails.  No notification if the probe
succeeded.

You can change the text of this 'Probe' in the PROBE1 Template in MAILTPL
if you want.  Some people use this to post a mini-FAQ.

People who are active on your list will never get a renewal or probe,
because each post restarts the 1 month 'clock' ticking.
 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]