"Pauline M. Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 00:16:29 +0000
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Adam Bailey wrote:

> >If LISTSERV could automatically convert all user-ids to the lower case (as
> >a standard), it would solve the problem with double subscriptions.
>
> No, no, no. That would be wrong. RFCs state that usernames don't have to
> be case insensitive. On some systems, usernames ARE case sensitive.

Then if they are two seperate usernames (as defined by RFCs) then they
should be able to be manipulated as two (ie, add, delete, mail, digest,
index, review etc), and not have 'fuzzy logic' matching for some, but not
all commands.

All we are asking for is consistancy.....a standard if you will.

| Pauline M. Marshall         /  /                 --= MightyMouse =-- |
| [log in to unmask]           /  /        http://www.logic.net/~mmouse/ |
| UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.|