Tue, 18 May 2004 17:48:41 -0500
I've a bunch of subscribers at indiana.edu.  A month or more ago they
ceased receiving list MAIL distributions.  They receive with no problem
administrative mail (confirms, job outputs, notices of actions taken by
listowner, etc.) and DIGESTs, presumably also INDEX, though none are set
that way.

After some discussion with a lower level IT person there, I decided to try
switching one of the subscribers from SUBJECT (she had been SHORT, but
switched to SUBJECT (functionally same as FULL(?) to see if that would
help, which it didn't) to IETF.  She immediately began receiving list MAIL.

It was mentioned, if I recall correctly, that there had been a router
problem shortly before the failure of list MAIL receipt.

IETF is billed as "internet style headers".  What does that mean, and what
does it indicate that MAIL is received that way, but not SHORT or FULL.

Oh, there have been no error messages for indiana.edu, though sometimes the
list host site, buffalo.edu, which uses qmail, reports errors for items
which cannot be delivered for a week, in a manner which does not produce
any error messages visible to the listowner as long as auto-delete is on,
nor are they picked up by the auto-delete DEMR.  I have not checked for
those as I am not currently handling the errors for the list, and turning
off auto-delete more than triples the errors to be dealt with manually.  I
do plan to do that after making arrangements with the co-owner.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]