Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Feb 1993 21:57:00 MST
On Wed, 24 Feb 1993 01:02:47 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>Maybe if, like one  of my friends, you had been  repeatedly raped by your
>father when you were  a kid, you would have a  different opinion. It sure
>is easy to  make blanket judgments about other people  whose problems you
>haven't shared or experienced.

   Absolutely....but....if your friend posted that infomation publicly,
to a public list, then he/she shouldn't be surprised if he/she gets
some responses to it, whether of support or criticism....

  If, for example, a gay person announces his/her sexual preference on
a public list, and that is cross-posted to another list....which I would
hope would NOT be done by someone, but surely could be....then the
gay person has, IMHO, no cause for complaint about being 'outed' or the
hate mail that may be received.....after all, it COULD have come from
the first posting, or the crossposting, or.....

  I am NOT arguing for as much crossposting as often happens.....whether
of job ads or conference announcements or flame wars.....

cyclops