Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:37:15 -0700
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:04:30 EST, John Roraback PhD <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what happens if the listowner uses the 1.8d "CHANGE for"
>command to change a subscriber's e-mail address when the new address has
>already been subscribed to the mail list? Will it reset the subscription
>options to those in effect for the first address? Will the original (first)
>subscription date be preserved?

Nothing is changed.  All you get is this message, and the old subscription
also remains unchanged.

Confirming:
> change *   [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
LISTNAME: [log in to unmask] is already subscribed to the list.

Now for a question you didn't ask, suppose the the first address isn't
subscribed (address is wrong or may already have been auto-deleted.)

> change *   [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
There is no subscription for [log in to unmask] in any of the lists you
specified.

>Will anything crash?

No.  LISTSERV is a very stable program.  It is virtually impossible for a
subscriber or even a List Owner to do something to 'crash' LISTSERV.  To
really screw things up it takes a Site Administrator...  8-)