Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Jun 1994 11:36:00 EDT
Along with several other people, I co-own a closed list (subscription
by-owner).  I'd like to recommend this approach to Althea.  We have an
"owners" list and rotate the listowning responsibilities (two weeks
shifts).  Not only does this help prevent listowner-burnout, generally
at least one of us can remain cool-headed when the nasty-grams flood
in.

Prospective subscribers must fill out and return a "profile", which
discourages those who subscribe frivolously -- it's just too much
trouble.

We've only ever refused one potential subscriber - a know Usenet
flamer.  We've had to barr two people who were deliberately trying to
sabotage the list (and were foolish enough to brag about it on Usenet,
as if the listowners never read anything but their own list.

We send a Welcome Letter to new subscribers with the philosophy and
rules of the list, and generally a polite, behind the scenes reminder
is enough to get most offenders to settle down.

At their best (IMHO) lists are a synthesis of the listowners' vision
and the list members desires.

Jae Walker
co-owner, ARCANA
--
[log in to unmask] -- DRYCAS | [log in to unmask] -- America Online
****