Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:17:58 -0500
Steve Howie wrote the following on 11/22/2006 5:42 PM:
> A list owner has contacted us asking why he is receiving error
> monitoring reports for users who are not subscribed to his list.

My current DEMR has 76 addresses with errors -- only 7 of which are list
subscribers. The rest are from spammers sending quiet subscribes to my
list. My setting is subscribe by_owner, confirm, and the confirmations
are bouncing. I know this because I added the confirm so all those bogus
subscribe requests didn't end up in my inbox. Two or three a day are
non-standard bounces, and the full bounce message ends up in my inbox.
They are all quiet subscribe attempts.

But, yes, I really wish there was an option to have only subscribers
appear on the DEMR, or at least have the report sorted into subscriber
and non-subscriber bounces. I understand the reasoning behind including
all of them, but when there are 70+ bogus errors the report isn't very
useful unless you have a lot of time to spend going over it. If you look
only for addresses with multiple bounces, then the rational for including
all of them (subscriber posting from a different address) is moot, as the
listowner isn't going to see it unless they have the time to go over all
of the bounces.

--
Karen Reznek
head listowner -- Asperger