Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Jan 1993 12:59:46 EST
On Fri, 1 Jan 1993 11:24:15 EST Elliott Parker said:
>I don't know if this is appearing on other lists, but the first
>anonymous posting from this server appeared on one of my lists yesterday.
>Anonymous postings are not permitted there.
>
> So what does the anon server really do? Well, it provides a front for
>sending mail messages and posting news items anonymously. As you send your
>very first message to the server, it automatically allocates you an id of
>the form anNNN...

It seems to me that the potential for abuse far exceeds any reasonable
need for privacy except, perhaps, for a handful of lists dealing with
sensitive social topics.

One of my lists is MAC-L.  The anonymous server provides a ready-made
opportunity for some sophomoric MeSsy DOS bigot to deliver annoying
anonymous diatribes (likewise, some infantile Mac bigot could do the
same thing to various PC lists).

In short, I hope Eric quickly adds an option to automagically bounce ANY
post with a From: anNNN !!!  Perhaps with a polite: "Anonymous postings
are not permitted on this list" message.

/s Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>