Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 May 1994 00:46:55 -0400
>  Will changing
> Send from public to private affect the gateway between my list (PMAIL@ua1vm)
> and bit.listserv.pmail?  Will postings from bit.listserv.pmail continue
> to flow to the list?

With Send= Private, only posters whose individual addresses are on the
subscription list will get their messages posted, even though the gateway
itself is a subscribed address (I have discovered this from actual practise).
The only work-around I've found is to tell people (in part through a
regularly re-posted FAQ message) that to be able to post from the Usenet
side, people will have to SUBSCRIBE to Listserv *and* SET <listname>
NOMAIL.  One problem may be that not all Usenet users have e-mail
capability so they may not be able to do the SUB and the SET by themselves
(and if they have no other access to you, they may not be able to ask you
to do it for them; I guess the list-owner could post his/her postal
address and suggest that these people sanil their requests in).

I have a small list with this set-up.  I don't have a direct sense of how
much of a hassle this all would be with a list of moderate or large size.

-- Roger Burns   [log in to unmask]
   List-owner, CFIDS-L at [log in to unmask]