Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:57:26 -0400
15 April, 1999 Ottawa Canada

My list doesn't use probing, either active or passive, but the periodic
subscription request goes even to nomail subscribers, so if they don't
issue a confirm they are eventually deleted.

One problem with probing is it won't detect an abandoned address on a
system which holds incoming mail in a master mail queue and quietly
deletes mail which becomes stale dated so it doesn't fill up the
available disk space.  While this situation won't generate non-delivery
errors, it bothers my sense of dignity to be sending mail indefinitely to
an abandoned address, which is why I like a periodic subscription renewal.

Brian