Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 02:25:12 +0200
Winship,

The upcoming level set will have the old separators back when using GETPOST ... NOMIME. It will also allow you to request NOMIME format via the listname-search-request address by typing in a line saying just NOMIME, anywhere in the response.

The reason MIME is the default is that the vast majority of e-mail users have no idea what MIME is and do not even know that there was a time when you could not e-mail attachments. There is no reason to force them to learn about the pre-MIME days and remember to type MIME every time they want to actually be able to receive their attachments as attachments rather than long streams of garbage. I accept that some people still prefer to watch a black and white TV, and I am happy to give you a button to make your TV work in black and white, I am even willing to discuss the ergonomy of that button, but please don't tell me that the TV should work in black and white by default and people who want to see colour channels are the ones who should have to read the manual and locate the button to enable colours.

  Eric