Mon, 10 Aug 1998 01:42:11 -0400
At 10:09 PM 8/9/98 -0400, Mary Schweitzer wrote:

I'm posting this to the list, 'cause it's a general answer.

>I find it very difficult to explain that proseletyzing is a no-no on a
>list that is for MEDICAL support, without sounding like I am
>anti-religious.
>
>Has anyone found a tactful, boilerplate way of explaining this?  List
>moderating is much easier if you can draw clear lines, much harder when
>it is a judgment call.  Anyone have any clear lines they have drawn to
>deal with this situation?

Find a polite way of phrasing this in the list charter and guidelines
("This list serves all of the Internet, which is rich in diversity. This
includes religion. Since there is no way of knowing what religion someone
is, if they are religious at all, and since this is a personal choice,
please be considerate and keep discussions in the secular world on this
list. If someone specifically requests a religious opinion, please make it
privately").
If someone does it, give them a warning. If they do it again, boot them.

Philo
Philo                                           [log in to unmask]
And assuming we survive, how old will you be
in a year if you *don't* learn to speak Minbari?