Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 21:28:56 -0400
On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Lee Silverman wrote:

> At 10:57 AM 8/3/95, Marianne Reed wrote:
> >Are any of you ListPROC owners?
>
> I was, but it turns out that this isn't really a listproc question.

> Basically you want to create a mail message with the "correct" address in
> the From: line.  To this end, I think that knowing how to forge email is a
> very valuable skill for any list owner and/or postmaster, so I'll post some

  My understanding of the question was that it was for subscribers.
I think it very innappropriate to teach subscribers how to forge mail...
it is listproc's problem....they should deal with it.  The last thing
we need on this list, given the recent mail, are more people who
have learned to forge mail...sigh.  Ok...an over-reaction on my part
perhaps....but I really have a problem with advocating a 'telnet to an
addr smtp/25'!   It is not a solution....even though I have done it when
necessary... call me a hypocrite.  No software worth its salt should
even require this of List-owner's.  I also know this info is available
via www and the appropriate RFC.

  My opinion alone.  I'm tainted by being involved in security at
our site.

- --Trish
ps. Good summary though for the most part.  You forgot forging the
'receiced' lines so no one can find out who the person is.