Lee Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 08:09:38 -0400
I'm setting up a MAILTPL file for one of the lists I run.  I was able to
get the DEFAULT MAILTPL file from listserv, which I plan to edit and then
upload as BIG-LINUX MAILTPL.

One question about listserv's behavior here: when I request LISTNAME
MAILTPL for the first time, should listserv:
a)give me a message that the file is "registered but doesn't exist"
b)send me a copy of DEFAULT MAILTPL instead
c)create a LISTNAME MAILTPL based on DEFAULT MAILTPL and then mail that to me?

I'm inclined to say b.  The error message in a is a bit confusing.  I
understand what it means, but I'm not sure if the average listowner who
isn't also a listserv manager would.  c seems like a waste of disk space --
no need to actually create the file until it's different than the DEFAULT.
b makes sense to me because the DEFAULT MAILTPL is functionally the
LISTNAME MAILTPL.  By sending me back the file that's actually being used
as the LISTNAME MAILTPL, listserv has completely fulfilled the intent of my
request.

<< start of forwarded material >>

>>From bin  Thu Aug 10 07:08:01 1995
>Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 1995 07:07:57 -0400
>From: "L-Soft list server at NETSPACE.ORG (1.8b)"
>Subject:      Output of your job "lee"
>To: Lee Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> get big-linux mailtpl
>File "BIG-LINUX.MAILTPL" is registered in LISTSERV's file catalog, but the
>physical file is not present.
>
>> get default mailtpl
>File "DEFAULT MAILTPL" has been mailed to you under separate cover.
>
>Summary of resource utilization
> CPU time:        0.040 sec                Device I/O:        0
> Overhead CPU:    0.330 sec                Paging I/O:        6
> CPU model:  DX/4 (15M)

<< end of forwarded material >>

Lee Silverman     [log in to unmask]      http://www.netspace.org/users/lee/
         Live each day as if your life had just begun.  --  Goethe