Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 May 1998 12:12:10 -0500
Vince Sabio wrote:

>** Sometime around 23:54 -0400 5/8/98, Anne H Toal said:
>
>>What's the proper way to set a list so nobody can post to it but the
>>editors? If a member sends in a post, I want him to receive back a message
>>saying the list can't be posted to, something along those lines.
>
>Uh, lessee if I can remember this. You want to set the following header
>items:
>
>* Send= editor
>* Editor= [log in to unmask] (Your Name)

This is, as I understand it, the correct way to set it up minimally, but
it will do nothing to prevent people from spoofing your e-mail address and
sending things to listserv as if it came from you.  Better would be:

* Send= editor, hold, confirm
* Editor= [log in to unmask] (Your Name)

This way, you must approve even your own posts to prevent such occurrences
from ever occuring.  You may also need a LISTSERV password as well, but
I'm not sure about this.

Glenn Alperin