Nate Tassler <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 20:08:35 EDT
>However, I can't help but think that when a list is is set up with
>SEND=PRIVATE in their header, it is not appropriate for an organization
>to, without permission, allow their members to post through that gateway.
>I don't believe that that is what PEACENET does, so I'm speaking
>hypothetically.  Such an action would remove a basic element of
>control from listowners and force them to take a rather heavy-handed
>approach in dealing with problem postsers.

Regardless of whether or not people can post through the gateway,
I just don't understand where you're coming from because your
list is set so that anyone can subscribe.  Send= Private means
that anyone, once subscribed, can post, but if you allow anyone
to subscribe, why does it make any difference to you whether or not
they read the list through a gateway or by subscribing directly?

If there were some problem with people reading through the gateway who
you did NOT want to post to the list, then maybe you'd have a case.
As it is, I just don't see why you fear a loss of control from
a gateway when you have just as much potential by having open
subscription.

regards,
Nate