Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:36:18 -0600
At 02:27 PM 9/4/1997 -0700, Sherry Beauchamp wrote:
>>Ask yourselves:  If you were interested in a list and every person on
>>that list were subscribed under "conceal," would you have serious qualms
>>about joining the list?   In "review=owner" aren't you imposing a "conceal"
>>on each and every person?
>
>I just did a quick check -- I belong to more than a dozen lists, and not
one of them is reviewable by subscribers.  I manage another dozen or so
lists, and keep them all purposefully set to review=owner.  So I guess my
answer to your question (particularly in light of the fact that I never
bothered to check before) has to be no ...

Yup.  But I don't CARE who the people are on the list.  Unless it is in a
VERY narrow subject, you won't know who 98 percent of them are anyway.  The
quality of the list content is all that matters to me.

Of course the REASON almost NOBODY has review set to anything except owner
is to PROTECT the list members.  We've learned over the last several years
that spammers join a list, review it, and unsub from it.  And, unless you
require confirmation, they can do this all in one easy step.  What do
spammers do with your list of members?  They use it themselves, and they
also sell it to other spammers.  If you're on a Mac list, do you want to
start getting junkmailspam from every company that has ever sold a mac
product?  Probably not.  And, even if you do, you probably don't want to
get it from every spammer in the world on everything from sexchat to dirty
pictures to new tires to get rich quick schemes.

Remember, this isn't to hurt list members, but to HELP them.

Believe me......please.....

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534