Brian Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 17:41:18 -0800
Delivery error question
I was recently given the task to start and maintain a LISTSERV list.  I
have a problem that seems to be QuickMail (for the Macintosh) specific.

The problem is this:  when people _reply_ to a list message, the
LISTSERV chokes, sending the following message (the list is
confidential, so I've inserted a fake name):

>The enclosed mail file, found in the ABC-L reader and shown under the
spoolid
>4049 in  the console log,  has been identified  as a possible
delivery error
>notice  for the  following reason:  "Sender:", "From:"  or "Reply-To:"
 field
>pointing to the list has been found in mail body.

I assume this is because QuickMail replies normally repeat the entire
prior message, with a header that includes the name of the original
sender like this:

>adjust your schedule, please do so.
>
>--------------------------------------
>Date: 2/4/94 4:32 PM
>To: John Smith
>From: ABC -L

>1994 16:31:38 -0800
>Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 1994 16:28:03 -0800
>Sender:       ABC-L - <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         James Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Draft Annotated Outline of
>To:           Multiple recipients of list ABC-L

Is there any way around this other than teaching the users to "cut out"
these headers?  I am dealing with a group of high-level administrators
who are often inexperienced computer users; asking them to do anything
"manually" is likely to be painful (for both them and me).

Please let me know what experiences (if any) you've had with this.

Thanks.