Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:11:14 +1000

>I am trying to determine what is the best format to send list
>announcements in, should they be sent in HTML or plain text?

The best option is to send in HTML and ensure that a plain-text version is
also available in the same e-mail.  (Some e-mail clients will handle this
automatically, it's something that you'll have to investigate by
yourself.)  You then leave it up to the recipients to determine which one
they wish to view.

This is called a 'mutlipart/alternative' e-mail.  LISTSERV is perfectly
capable of handling it but if your e-mail client won't automatically
create these e-mails then you have to look at coding them by hand.  L-Soft
has a white paper available on this subject.

Alternatively, LISTSERV's companion product, Maestro, is designed
expressly with this kind of e-mail in mind.  The user can define whether
they want to use HTML only, plain-text only, or a combination of both
(multipart/alternative) when creating content.  The interface for doing
this is very easy to use and designed for non-technical users.  It's the
easiest way to send out information announcements, newsletters,
bulletins...in fact, any one-way e-mails that you need to send.

You can see more information on our web site here
http://www.lsoft.com/products/maestro.asp>.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.