John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:58:57 -0400
> Hi all,
>
> A situation arose in which I (as listowner) wanted to send an email to all
> list members regardless of their nomail status. I hunted through the 1.8d
> docs (that's what my hosting site uses) and I couldn't figure it out for the
> life of me. I thought I could do a quiet set nomail for *@*, and send my
> message, but then I would have the joyous task of setting the 25% of my
> subscribers back to nomail who were originally nomail. So, I sucked it up
> and entered all the addresses by hand in my email client, and sent the
> message.
>
> Is there an easier way to force a message through to all subscribers?
> (Easier meaning not adjusting templates and making a probe go out, that kind
> of thing.)

There is something built into LISTSERV which will do this very thing. The
catch is the site must be using L-Soft's LSMTP mailer for it to work. The
site admin must also have LISTSERV configured for Owners to do Mail Merge.
From the List Management page you select Mail Merge. You then select any
or all of these 4 options:

1. Subscribers receiving direct postings
2. Subscribers receiving digests
3. Subscribers receiving indexes
4. Subscribers who are set to NOMAIL

Then type your message and send it. The next best way is as Paul suggested
with a DISTRIBUTE job. If all this fails, you could still do it with your
list, with a little work.

Send:  Query listname with NOMAIL for *@*
Save the resultant message as text.
Run an email address exactor utility such as Xemail on the file.
Now you have a list of addresses set to NOMAIL.
Bulk delete those.
Bulk add them (which I assume a default-option for the list is NOT Nomail)
Send your message to the list.
Set Default-Options= NOMAIL,blah,blah
Bulk Delete
Bulk Add
Set Default-Options=  back to original settings.
You are back to square one.

Of course doing a REV listname NOH ALL and using your mail client may be
easier for you, but you can do it through your list in about 15 mins.