Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 May 1996 09:39:31 EST
 Jacky Foo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>------ =_NextPart_000_01BB4551.26A16700
>
>----------
>From:   Rick Narad[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>I'm about to panic.  I just sent a revised header for Healthre to
>[log in to unmask] in order to switch the errors to one of my =
>co-owners.
>I received the message below.  I also forwarded a message that was send =
>for review and got a message saying that it had been submitted to the =
>moderator.
>When I reviewed the list, the header looked right but there are no =
>subscribers!
>
>What did I do?  What should I do now?
>Thanks.
>Rick Narad
>Co-manager, Healthre
>
>My guess is that you added your signature to the PUT message.
>
>A very dangerous trap for a new listowner as it also happened to me. So =
>I always keep an updated REV file.=20
>
>I think it should be easy for the software people to reject any PUT =
>command which contains signatures by detecting and message with no " * " =
>line and total reject such PUT commands.
>
>Jacky Foo
>Inst of Advanced Studies, UN Univ. Tokyo
>

>------ =_NextPart_000_01BB4551.26A16700
>
>eJ8+IiAWAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG
>ADgBAAABAAAADAAAAAMAADADAAAACwAPDgAAAAACAf8PAQAAAFEAAAAAAAAAgSsfpL6jEBmdbgDd
[cut]

Jacky,

The safest way to retrieve your header for editing of various list settings is
to use: Get corgi-L (Header nolock pw=xxxxx

I used corgi-L because that's the name of MY list. The x's are replaced with
whatever your list's password is. I only use the NoLock option when I'm certain
that I am the only owner who is modifying the header. (Don't want co-owners
getting the header, making different modifications and overwriting each other's
modifications!)

Secondly, Since you're using Win95 with Microsoft Exchange; PLEASE NOTE THE
FOLLOWING:

       >>> SPECIAL NOTICE to users of Windows95 and MS Exchange <<<

Windows95 and  MS Exchange cause problems on the list unless they are
configured correctly. If you are using MSExchange, the built-in  mail
program that came with WIN95, be sure that you change the "properties"
for the list's address in your "Personal Address Book" to be sure that
you do not send mail in "Microsoft Exchange Rich Text Format". To do
this, double click on the address, and uncheck on the box that says
"Always Send To This Recipient In Microsoft Exchange Rich Text Format."

This will eliminate the WINMAIL.DAT file garbage that sometimes appears
at the end of or as attachments to messages from a Listserv list. This
file contains the font type and color information and other things that
can corrupt other mail readers.

You also need to turn off RTF and MIME.

If you are using  any other kind of a mail program, it is just good form
to be sure that the mail program is  sending out mail in "text only"
format, as many people don't have a GUI (Graphical User Interface) based
email reader.

Thank you.