"Wheeler, Doug (NTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:05:22 -0400
Rex,

OK, points well taken. However, many people do not have the option of what software they use. Their employers and or reality of common usage set those parameters. I'd wager that many (most?) users are users and don't really know jpg from bmp from vbs or even care (unfortunately). - they just have work to do. If they see a starling.jpg in explorer & click on it, well it might be more than it appears to be.

 >>>but this is M$'s fault for setting Explorer to hide extensions by default.

I won't argue the pros/cons of Microsoft -we'd probably agree on most points.

>> My solution is to use Linux with Mutt as a MUA; no trojan/virus/worm concerns and without the necessity to update antivirus software.

Obviously you are not the common user. Most would have no idea what you are talking about. Be careful as Linux viruses exist and are in the wild. (given what you've indicated, you are probably aware of that and have some in your zoo)

My original intent was to make note for those that might not be aware that solid virus protection goes beyond blocking size and extension types. It is always a good discussion and enlightening when other operating systems and approaches are brought up.

Enjoy the day,
Doug

Doug Wheeler
Sr. Technical Analyst - Information Resources
Neenah Technical Center
Georgia-Pacific Corporation
email : mailto:[log in to unmask]
voice : 920.729.8178 fax : 920.729.8164