Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Jun 1993 01:46:14 -0400
        Does anyone know what the legal status is of e-mail messages on a
public e-mail list?  Do they "belong" to the writer?  The listowner?  No
one?  Can someone legally quote (in a scholarly book or article) messages
posted on a public e-mail list without obtaining the consent of the people
who wrote them?  Against the wishes of the people who wrote them?

        Several people have asked me the above questions recently.  I know
that I've seen discussion of this issue somewhere at some time, but I don't
remember where.  I tried doing a database search on the lstown-l and
arachnet archives (since 1/92), but I came up empty-handed.

        I'd like to be able to advise the people who have asked me for
information.  I'd be most grateful for any info you can provide.

        Many thanks.

        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc