Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:56:40 -0500
On 10 Nov 98, at 19:54, Winship wrote:

> Wait a minute.  REVIEW is a subscription option, how can it apply
> to a nonsubscriber?  You are saying that in 1.8d having
> Default-options= review    gives the same result as the old
> semi-moderated technique of send= editor  editor= [log in to unmask],(listname)
> and default-options= review  ?  All one needs is default-options= review
> and the result is the same, even if you have send= public ?
>
> How can a subscription option apply to nonsubscribers?

In 1.8d, any default-option that makes sense is applied to
nonsubscribers writing to the list. Obviously, options such as NOMAIL
or REPRO can only be applied to subscribers, but options such as
REVIEW and NOPOST apply to non-subscribers attempting to post to
the list.

* Send=Public  Default-Options=REVIEW

in 1.8d gives ALMOST the same results as

* Send= Editor,Hold  [log in to unmask],(LISTNAME)

The differences are:

    - New subscribers start out being moderated (which I want to do till
    their   first post anyway, but if you don't want that it's an extra
    hassle to have   to SET NOREVIEW for everyone who signs up --
    although I suppose   that if you have Subcription=By Owner, you can
    put the SET NOREVIEW in the add job template)

    - Posting limits apply to ordinary list members (a good difference,
    in my book)

    - Some spammers look for lists with Send=Public to send to without
    regard to what the default options are, so you end up getting more
    spam to moderate (but of course, as long as you don't approve it, it
    won't make it to your list)

    - Some list directories look at your Send= keyword to figure out what
    kind of list you have. When my list was Send= Editor, I was
    distressed to see that my list was listed as a moderated list (I
    can't remember if it was with Liszt or AOL, but it was one of those
    two). Now it's listed as unmoderated, which I consider more accurate.

Once the subscribers are set to NOREVIEW, it's just like a semi-
moderated list: subscribers can post freely (up to the daily threshold),
non-subscriber posts go to the moderator.

Francoise