Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:10:13 -0900
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, John Lyon wrote:

> > Regarding: Send= Private,Editor,Hold,Confirm
>
> LISTSERV is using the first option it comes to, which in this case is
> Private. Hold has no meaning with Private so what you wind up with is:
> Send= Private,Confirm
> So I assume that is the behavior you desired.
> Try this and see what happens:
> Send= Editor,Private,Hold,Confirm
> This will equate to:
> Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm
> Which I assume is not desireable.

If "Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm" allows non-subscribers' (incl. spammers')
messages to reach list owners or moderators, then no, that is not
desirable after all.  I thought that moderating non-subscriber posts would
be acceptable, but the volume of spam that would also let in makes that
undesirable.

Maybe we've gotten too far away from my initial post [1] to remember what
my desirable results were, and how my list was configured.  I hope I'm
wrong, but some of the replies appear to be taking my follow up posts out
of context of my original post.

[1]
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0403&L=lstown-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=53

What I want is a self-moderated list [2] to guard against forged e-mail,
that rejects non-subscriber posts [3], that temporarily holds copies of
un-approved messages requiring moderation [4], and that sends each
un-approved message to all moderators without load balancing [5].

[2] Section 2.13.6. Self-moderated lists
    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc9154193

[3] LISTSERV List Owner's Manual -
    Section 2.12.6. Controlling who may post mail to the list:
    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc9154182

[4] Section 2.13.3. Edited lists
    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc9154190

[5] Section 2.13.4. Moderated lists
    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc9154191

This implies the leap-of-faith combination of

        Send= Private
with
        Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm

and then defining who all of the editors and moderators are.  Thus:

        Send= Private,Editor,Hold,Confirm
        Editor= owner1,owner2,owner3,(LISTNAME)
        Moderator= ALL,owner1,owner2,owner3,moderator1,moderator2

Syntactically correct or not, this works for me.

If you can recommend a less verbose method of achieving exactly the same
behavior, great.  Otherwise I'm happy with the way things are set now.
For example, can I (in the context of the three-line example above)
shorten the "Moderator=" line to the following using the "EDITOR" access
level described in [6]?

        Moderator= ALL,Editor,moderator1,moderator2

[6] Section 5.3.12. EDITOR/NOEDITOR
    http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc9154259

--
Best regards,