Brent Black <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:12:47 -0700
Hello everyone,

I have two ongoing problems with Compuserve that I cannot seem to make any
progress on.   If any of you have any suggestions or you know someone at
compuserve that could actually help it would be most appreciated.

The first problem is when a user sends email to a listserve mailing list
(with default reply=sender) and a Compuserve subscriber of that list has a
full mailbox then Compuserve insists on sending Mailbox full error messages
to the Sender of the message rather than to the List owner as all other
email systems do.  This of course confuses the subscriber who thinks that
their group message was not delivered and they resend the message.  Uhh.

Compuserve is the only one that ignores this protocol and I have had no
luck getting any reaction from Compuserve other than they are aware of it
and will be fixing it.  Of course that was over a year ago and still no
change.  In fact I cannot even get a response from them at all now.   I
even tried calling them.

I have pretty much gotten used to sending a message to the group myself on
a weekly basis and waiting for the compuserve errors and then setting the
offending account(s) to digest to prevent further messages.   This has to
be repeated on a regular basis but at least I can eliminate the trouble.
Well up until now anyway.

Compuserve just switched to a new system where they allow their users a
choice of a alpha name ([log in to unmask]) instead of the numeric address
([log in to unmask]) but both addresses still function.   The problem
is I am now getting mailbox full messages for users and the error message
shows the numeric address but they are subscribed under the alpha address.
Of course I have now have no way to determine what user is generating the
error message since I cannot cross reference the alpha address they are
subscribed with to the numeric address in the error messages.  Ahhhhhh.

Does anyone have any suggestions.  Other than removing 400+ compuserve
users from my list.

Thanks much and best regards,

Brent Black