George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:29:14 -0400
Hi folks:

I've just finished moving my lists to a host with Listserv 1.8c (finally up
from 1.8b).  I'm looking to firm up the security in my configuration,
especially since lately, as moderator, I've been getting spam that purports
to be from [log in to unmask]  Of course this was a clear attempt
to bypass the system, and of course it failed, but I figure the next step
is for them to actually read the list headers and start using some real
addresses.

I've seen discussion here before of coding EDITOR=(editor-list-name) --in
other words point to another list which exists only to define a list of
editors, as a way of hiding the editor's address from the main list header.
 This was also suggested as a way of managing large numbers of lists as
common editors come and go.  However, in reading the documentation I've
seen no mention of this technique.  Is it recommended, if only for the
latter purpose?

I have also noticed that in 1.8c (is this feature new with 1.8c?) a list
can be set SEND=EDITOR,HOLD,CONFIRM, and this will send any message that
purports to be from the editor back to the editor for confirmation (I take
it it does NOT do this with approvals).  I take it this would be the
recommended procedure to address the security issue (nice touch, Lsoft).

Suggestions, confirmations and denials welcome.

George Buckner
Owner, [log in to unmask]