"J. Philip Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Oct 1993 14:12:06 -0500
I am the owner of several lists, but because I no longer live on a VM system I
must send all relevant commands via mail.  Recently, I have been puzzled
because commands that I have issued have neither been returned as invalid, nor
have they been acted upon by LISTSERV.

I think that I have finally figured out what was happening.  Sometimes, when
the command was a DELETE command because mail was bouncing for a particular
address, I would compose the LISTSERV mail by forwarding the failed delivery
message to LISTSERV so that I could avoid retyping the offending address.  It
appears that LISTSERV is sensitive to the Subject: field and not scanning for
commands if, for example, the subject is "Undelivered Mail."

Is this explanation reasonable?  Is this a new behavior of LISTSERV or did I
just never get caught by it before?  What are the Subjects that I should avoid
if I want to send a command to LISTSERV?

-phil

--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
         Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110