Sat, 6 Oct 2001 08:30:45 -0400
On: Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:17:14PM -0700,Juan Carlos Vega Wrote:

} 1) Are Majordomo and LISTSERV software packages?

Yes.  Majordomo is freeware and runs AFAIK on unix only.

Listserv Lite is free.  has limited function compared to the full
Listserv and is available for several platforms.

Full Listserv costs.  The Lsoft folks at [log in to unmask] can give you
the details,  but I believe its available at several cost levels
bepending on the number of lists and the number of subscribers you have.

IMHO, Listserv is highly superior to Majordomo and is supported by Lsoft
who invented the concepts of a mailing list.

} 2) I believe they are software, but where and how do they run?  We do not have a server in our office and depend on an Internet Provider (E-Link), how will that work?  Does it run from one of the computers in our office?

I think so provided you have a good connection to the internet.
Or Lsoft can host it for you.

} 3) How much work is involved in running a mailing list?  Do you need somebody monitoring everything, specially the subscribing and unsubscribing of members?

Both are mostly automatic but do need someone to keep an eye on things.
Listserv handles most bounces but needs to refer ones it doesn't
recognize to a human.

} 4) At this moment, we will probably start with a mailing list of about 300 people but expected to double easily, would that be a problem?  Are there limits to the number of people that can be subscribed?

I know of Listserv lists with several thousand subscribers.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507