Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 14:14:58 PDT
On Sat, 22 Apr 1995 16:42:10 +0500 Ronald H. Warners said:
>Hi Darlene.  The *whole listserv thing* is not only ONE thing.  Several very
>useful list software units are now in operation, and, despite the brava of

Darlene, be cautious of those who claim to be informed but then ...

>the author of the software called LISTSERV, others, such as Majordomo, are
>eclipsing the Greek.

What Greek would that be, Ron?  The French author of LISTSERV?

>This does not make your task easier, to say the least,
>but, choosing appropriate software is the fundamental task of anyone who
>aspires to own a list.  My best advice is to go to a good tech bookstore and

Unless, Darlene, you want to build a Internet node and then run it, you will
run on a host node.  That node will provide whatever list server it darned
well choses, and you will have next to nothing to say about it.  Which is
why you want to put a lot of effort into choosing a host node.  Netcom.com
uses LISTSERV.

>ask and peruse. It is entirely likely that this Internet List is an unlikely
>source for unbiased advice.

Yes, us folks on this list enjoy and appreciate the best.  We are biased
in favor of quality and do not believe in equal opportunity for all vendors,
regardless of how lousy their software is.  But then maybe you do.  Then
just toss all the names in a hat and pick one.   Dave

Dave Gomberg, San Francisco           Internet: [log in to unmask]