Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:02:53 -0500
Because!

The original design of LISTSERV(R) was to mimimize wide-area net
bandwidth, a slow and expensive resource, in the context in which it was
developed in the 1980's when Bitnet was the dominant academic and
research network.  The tradeoff was to use other LISTSERV hosts (usually
based upon VM/CMS).

These acted in a truly global mail exploder network: LISTSERV(R) Jobs
would be delivered to the various LISTSERV hosts (distribute pyramid)
which would choose the local delivery recipients and pass on the
remaining recipients to yet other LISTSERV(R) sites.  This mimimized
body-of-text message traffic, when looked at via a global perspective.

It obfuscated list-to-recipient delivery paths, but most folks didn't
care as long as they got their messages in a day.

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA