Jane Lyle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:04:43 -0500
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Elena Fraboschi wrote:

> Why would you possibly set it back and discard the requirement
> to validate?  How can anyone expect in these times to have just one
> nutty, sophomoric, or otherwise irresponsible subscriber?
> To me, the risk of having someone unsubscribe an unsuspecting
> subscriber is far graver than the "inconvenience" of having
> to validate signoff requests.

Well, knock on wood, but we have yet to have a single subscriber try to do
anything like this--and we have a relatively large (1,600+), active,
long-term list. So I would hope this isn't really a widespread problem.

Would it be possible in the next version of Listserv to configure the list
so that only unsubscribe commands require confirmation? Making people
confirm every single command they send--subscribe, nomail, mail, nodigest,
digest--seems like overkill. Having confirmation for unsubscribing only,
however--or for subscribing and unsubscribing only--would be more useful,
especially for those of us who have been fortunate enough not to have any
problems with malicious subscribers spoofing addresses.

Jane