Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:13:39 -0600
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:13:45 -0400, Michael Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>We have a list owner that wants to know how many subscribers actually
>open the email that is posted to a particular list.  I suspect it is
>like the "receipt" option in MS Outlook.  Is there an option in LISTSERV
>to perform this function?

This kind of recipient behavior tracking is one of the major features
offered by LISTSERV Maestro.  Click-through tracking works in both
plain-text and HTML email message bodies.  Open-up tracking (what is asked
for above) can only work in HTML email message bodies.  There is no reliable
technical method to detect open-ups in plain-text email messages, unless you
are working in a closed corporate environment where everyone uses the same
mail client (e.g. Lotus Notes/Domino or Microsoft Exchange) which may have
such a feature enabled.

There are 4 kinds of tracking possible in Maestro to meet various needs for
recipient privacy, sender's desire for information gathering, and what the
law allows (which varies by country).  Only 1 tracking method gathers
personally identifiable information.  The other 3 tracking methods are not
personally identifiable.  See http://www.lsoft.com/products/maestro_20.asp
for more information.

Users seeking this kind of data from their recipients must recognize that it
represents varying degrees of intrusion on the privacy of recipients.  This
should not be attempted without advance disclosure that tracking is being
done and a "confirmed opt-in" agreement from EVERY recipient to participate
in or permit such tracking.  This is true even if it is a "condition of
employment" situation.